Thursday, 3 March 2011

Failed to create sample data

Few months ago I installed Sharepoint server 2010. The purpose of installation was to test the new platform and to convince my employer that new version contains some new features that we could use.

I installed it on vmware virtual machine. My system is Windows server 2008 R2. Since the purpose is only to test it I chose Single Server Setup.
I also intalled OWA - Office Web Apps.

And here is the problem. Recently I tried to install Project Server on top of everything. It was successfully installed but when I run Sharepoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard it failed with error: "Failed to create sample data".

I searched the web and found few solutions:
Because none of this worked for me I uninstalled all of the Office Server products and rebooted the server.
But then another problem occured. I could not install Sharepoint Server because uninstall procedure did not clean everything. So I ended up using msicuu2.exe (Windows Installer Cleanup Utility) that cleaned what was left (some Office Web Apps registry keys and some dlls from SQL server).

I restarted my server and than successfully installed Sharepoint and Project Server.

No comments: